Firefox 4, faster web apps
The version 4 of Firefox is trying to remake the retard on Chrome of which versions are released at a high rate, and countering the future coming of Internet Explorer 9 which no longer satisfied with the advantage of integration in Windows but wants to confront competing browsers by its own capabilities.
It was developed under the version number 3.7. It is based on Gecko 1.9.3.
What is new in Firefox 4
- The tag of divisions are implemented: <header> <nav> <article> <section> <footer>.
- The <figure> tag is added.
- Canvas as a tool for drawing and image manipulation.
- Offline mode.
- Drag and drop.
- The <video> tag uses the WebM codec.
- WebSocket facilitates exchanges between the application and the server.
- To change the history, the methods pushState() and replaceState().
- The Forms API is supported to check entries.
- SVG file in <img>.
A vector image is displayed as easily as a bitmap.
- SMIL Animation.
- SVG code directly in HTML.
- 2D Transformations.
- Transitions. To display the content changes gradually.
- @font-face. Using personal fonts.
- calc() inserts calculations in the stylesheet.
- The 3D in the browser with WebGL that is enabled by default.
- XMLHttpRequest can use formData objects. They have methods to create lists in the form: name = value.
- Hardware acceleration.
Using the graphics processor (GPU) for the display of text as images or videos and DirectX or OpenGL.
- Installed by the user without relaunching the browser.
- A development tool is provided: Addon Builder.
- The XUL language was developed.
It is always possible to develop extensions to Firefox with XUL, this offers more extensive capabilities.
- Tabs are placed above the window.
But the user can change their position in the options.
Events on touch screens are used in a web application in Firefox 4.